|Swinging the Proverbial Cat!|
|Things had changed considerably from when l first began the immense tidying up of the Nissan Hut, although, to the unknowing, it may not look like a lot of difference. To those on the ground, the noticeable changes have been able to find tools, functionality, increased efficiency, and more space to swing the proverbial cat! |
But in three weeks, this place will look completely different again!
|For the last six weeks, l have been exclusively working in the Nissan Hut on the reserve. Only a little has been written about this 1940s building because it is not an aesthetic part of the greenery and yet it is one of the most critical parts of Gazen Salts.|
It is essential because it is vital to our actions as volunteers for everything we work on the grounds on a Wednesday. It holds all the bits of kit, machinery, and tools, never mind all of the other gummins it is responsible with, to and for.
Despite the relevance to the work we do, very few are interested in keeping it clean and tidy, functional, systematic or organised … till l said, “For FS, enough is enough!”
I am not usually one for blowing my own trumpet when it comes to good work; l prefer to believe it or not be found on the sidelines running things – however – l also award credit where and when it is due, and l am patting myself on my back for a job well done.
There is still a good two weeks, three at max, before the hut is finished, but in the six weeks, or six mornings or 18 hours that l have been working on this project, l have made considerable headway to the functional organisation of this building.
Whether we remain in this building or not or move to newer buildings in the future due to the nature of this old building and its asbestos dangers, we will need to perform that task with less clutter and more efficiency.
The photos don’t do much justice because there is no quality light, but l have made a distinct impression and impact upon the contents. The target was to take 100% of the content, dispose of 55% of rubbish and clutter, and, with the remaining 45%, turn it around into a system of functionality.
When we start to sell off the unwanted clutter, we might realise a profit of perhaps a couple of thousand. If that is the case, and luckier, that would be a welcome addition to the funds for the charity. There are no guarantees, of course. That is the nature of sales and, of course, the current climate.
We do stand to make a decent amount of money from our wood stores, which is the next job. Back to the building again. Sorry for the grainy photos; however, with no light and a camera with no flash, it’s the best l could get.
It is already 100% tidier and more functional than when l first began six weeks ago, and everyone is saying what a huge relief it is to find stuff again. I have said they’ll not recognise it a few weeks more from what it used to look like. They gasp, wondering how else it can change, but now that l have managed to shuffle it up, the next three weeks will see it at its absolute best.
With me in charge, it’ll not ever get back into the mess it had become either!
|Tales from Gazen Salts Nature Reserve is about my time and stories of my voluntary work with this project.|
I’ll see you next episode. Thanks for reading.
Gazen Salts Nature Reserve
Sandwich, Kent, England, UK